iClicker is a third party program used by many to poll their classes during lecture. Main program support is provided by the iClicker company. ITS provides access to the necessary instructor hardware and the base stations in the classrooms. ITS also coordinates the integration of the tool with our LMS, UVaCollab.
Before the Semester
- Order Devices:
Many faculty at UVa incorporating clickers in their courses use iClicker 2. Faculty should include the appropriate ISBN (1429280476) in their book order. It’s best to order iClicker2 devices separately (rather than in a textbook bundle) since students may already own the device. A student can use the same device in multiple classes.
- Verify your Classroom has a Base Station:
Please check your room, and if it does not have an iclicker base unit on the podium, please request one by contacting classroom support at email@example.com. We will have a base installed for you.
- Obtain an Instructor Kit:
You can order an instructor kit directly from iClicker (preferred) or you can email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange to pick up one from our support office in New Cabell 300. The kit includes an instructor remote and a test base station for your use. Note: Current best practice is to keep your program data in an iClicker folder that you have set upon your Home Directory (or on your own laptop). By doing so, you will have access to all your data from your office, home, or classroom.
- Using UVaCollab:
If you integrated iClicker into UVaCollab, you can easily grade assignments and import your data into your gradebook. For the most current copies of the needed software and notification of changes it is recommended that you join the Clickers Site in UVaCollab. This site is open to all (Navigate to MyWorkspace: Membership: Joinable). The University of Virginia specialized software for use with Collab can be found at http://files.iclicker.com/support/UVA/
Before Your First Class NEW SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD SITE!
- Obtain the software for use with UVACollab from iClicker.com: Current Required Version is 7.22 as of 7/15/2019
- Navigate to the new UVA download site at iClicker.com Click http://files.iclicker.com/support/UVA/
- Install the iClicker Tool in Collab
In the UVACollab site for your course, install the iClicker Tool. This will allow your students to register their devices for your class.
- Site Info
- Edit Tools
- Check the box for iClicker
- Verify Your Settings:
3. Create your SSO Key to log into Collab once you are in the iCLICKER tool . Here is a link to step by step instructions, Signing into iClicker Classic with your SSO Security Key
These instructions will also walk you through setting up your course in iClicker to use with Collab.
- Support for the actual use of the software is provided by the iClicker company and its representatives. ITS acts as a liaison between UVa and iClicker to coordinate the integration with UVaCollab and to provide hardware support for the rooms. The website is https://www.iclicker.com/school/university-of-virginia
- If you are using the provided computer, the base station will be connected to this computer for you.
- If you are using your laptop, you should plan on bringing your personal base station to class to use and the USB cable provided with your base. Please do not detach the USB able connected to the room computer as this will impact your fellow instructors adversely.
- To start using iClicker to ask a question, navigate to your Home Directory or other location of the iclicker folder you created to start the program. iClicker runs directly from your Home Directory . No files are stored on the room computer.
- iClicker has detailed instructions available at their website.